Thursday, January 29, 2009

Junk food makes me sick.

So, it's been a rough couple days here on the diet. I think it's the PMS thing, but I've been craving carbs like crazy. Yesterday was cookie day, and we courageously tried Whole Wheat Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. I figured if I was going to cheat, I'd get some fiber in there! I think they turned out really yummy, and very low fat (only 2 Tbsp of butter in the recipe). But, having cookies in the house is a bad thing when you're craving carbs. I ate three. And yes, three is way less than I would normally eat on a typical cookie day, and yes, they were only 80 calories each. But I guess my poor tummy didn't like the unexpected onslaught of sugar because it was rolling and gurgling like crazy. So, the moral of the story is: after you eat healthy food, you feel good. And when you scarf down chocolate chips and marshmallows (we all have our quirky cravings) you feel seriously nasty afterwards. I find that this reminder helps me choose a healthy snack when I'm craving junk. Maybe it will help you too.

Here's the recipe for Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies:
Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar (I think next time I'll cut it to 3/4 cup--they were very sweet)
1/4 cup applesauce
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/3 cups oats (I used quick oats)
1/2 cup raisins (next time I'll use more)
Directions:
1) Heat oven to 375.
2) Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in one bowl.
3) Mix the brown sugar, applesauce, eggs, margarine, and vanilla in another bowl.
4) Mix the two bowls into one bowl.
5) Then add in the oats and raisins.
6) Drop rounded teaspoons of the dough onto a GREASED baking sheet.
7) Cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
*I used a small cookie scoop and got 32 cookies. (Each cookie had 80 calories and 1.2 grams of fat)

No comments: