Saturday, January 24, 2009

My diet: the good...and the ugly

So, I've been on this healthy diet since Tuesday (seems so much longer), and here's what a typical day looks like:
Breakfast: 1 slice wheat toast, scrambled eggs, fruit
Snack: protein and fruit shake
Lunch: open-faced ham sandwich, carrots
Snack: salad or veggies with low-cal dressing
Dinner: lean meat with brown rice or whole wheat pasta, steamed veggies
Bedtime Snack: non-fat cottage cheese with fruit

This all adds up to between 1200-1400 calories a day. It's actually quite a bit of food. The great thing is: I've noticed an improvement in my skin because I'm getting 3 fruits and 4 veggies a day (before it was more like one of each at best). My face just looks healthier and less blotchy, requiring less makeup (I have this thing about makeup).

The bad thing...I have been so cranky! I know I'm getting enough food, and it's not like I'm hungry all the time. I think I'm just going through refined sugar withdrawals! Poor Chad. And my poor kids. Yesterday as I was doing Bree's hair, I noticed that the little rubber bands that I had set out on the counter were missing (this is very common; Bree likes to play with them and fling them on the floor). After briefly looking around for them, and not seeing them, I said "Bree, where are the rubber BANDS?!!!" (by the time I reached the end of the question I was yelling). She pointed to the handles of the faucet, where they were hanging, and said very quietly, "right there." I sort of broke down into a chuckle/whimper and hugged her and apologized for yelling. (She said, "yeah, that not very nice.") Little outbursts like this have been common this week. I've read that it takes a couple weeks before your body stops craving sugar. I can't wait.

2 comments:

The Wallace Family said...

you need to tell about the protein and fruit shake in more detail...

Megs said...

We have protein shake powder (it's best to find one without artificial sweeteners), and we blend it with milk and either frozen fruit, or fresh fruit with ice cubes. We usually use berries of some kind, and either pineapple or banana to sweeten it up.